🏠 Retirement is like leaving home and going to college with no idea of what's going to happen. It's either sink or swim so you just jump in! Last month at the age of 68, I made that plunge into the deep unknown. People asked how do you know and I shook my head thinking like love you just know.
I was totally unprepared for all the prep ahead just so I could not work. My head is still swirling with the Medicare details, last paychecks, life insurance, doctor selections, gym choices, etc. My work ethic after 50 years paid off as I crossed off my To Do List on a daily basis. I still have projects and goals to complete but here's what I learned:
My First 30 Days of Retirement
1) ⏰️ Kill the Alarm - Turn off the phone, clock, watch, etc. - without the use of any weapons of course😊
2) 🚗 On the Road Again - Get out before noon and enjoy the traffic free roads noting the silly grin on your face.
3) 😎 Sing, Dance, Run - Be happy and do whatever you want! No one can tell you otherwise as you dance emptying out the dishwasher or sing along to your favorite song.
4) 😍 Sip In That Air - Freedom air smells and tastes different. Let those chains fall away from all the years of labor you contributed to the world. Take two hours to drink coffee.
7) ✋High Five Yourself - You crossed the Finish Line! The work is done and you can give yourself a pat on the back for reaching your milestone. Great job!
8) 😇 Be Patient - Not every day of retirement is a Disney World kind of day. Sometimes you wake up late, eat too much chocolate, don't have a schedule, think about getting a dog, message people you don't normally talk to, and simply don't have the energy to do much of anything. I figured it's all okay at the end of the day as I adjust to a new life.
9) 😀Freebies - There are discounts for seniors which I am suddenly discovering. I either look online or find out through friends. The list includes retail stores on certain days (Walgreens, Kohl's etc), restaurants (Outback, Denny's, etc), movie theaters (AMC Theaters), free classes/lectures (local library or Youtube), free gym membership (Medicare). Google your favorite places and see what appears online.
10) 👀Interact with People - Suddenly you find yourself alone during retirement unlike work where you were surrounded by people every day. So,what to do? Join free groups online like meetup.com or meet5. You choose your interests and upload a flattering photo of yourself. These groups have events nearly every day. For example, I have met like-minded groups at a restaurant, museum, craft store, etc.
Don't forget a place of worship if you wish. I can now get more involved with my church attending luncheons, workshops, etc. Remember to have fun whatever you decide to do - it's Your Life! 😀
No comments:
Post a Comment