Thursday, October 8, 2026

First 60 Days - Off the Grid

⏰Wow my first 60 days off work feels like 6 months! No more hitting snooze on the phone alarm, no more throwing cold water in my face at 6:30 am, and no more having to say Good Morning when I don't feel like it 😋. I feel like an adolescent kid again following my recent retirement. Here are a few things I learned during my first 60 days:

📆1) Routine is Good: I fought the work schedule and deadlines for decades. But I've discovered some routine is good even when you retire. I try to wake up about the same time and keep the same meal schedule. My phone calendar is still useful for scheduling the gym, doctor, friend meetups, chores. I also try to run errands in the morning avoiding hot temps and rush hour traffic. 

🛩2) Explore Your Interests: For example, I've been wanting to learn how to crochet. I googled free crochet and found a class at a local library. I like to travel but while working would put off trips due to time or cost. No more excuses now! So, I went to a couple of free travel seminars, did my research and committed to an affordable tour abroad.  

💝3) Take Care of Yourself: All those aches and pains I dismissed during my working years have caught up with me. I am now taking the time to address each one including eye concerns and dental issues. Also, I am attending free fitness classes offered through my Medicare Advantage plan. FYI: Compare Medicare plan costs and benefits during Open Enrollment, October 15 - December 7.

👂4) Listen to Others: I have time to really listen to family or friends. There is a good reason why they reach out to me. With retirement, I feel more rested and able to absorb some of their conversation without judgment. I also enjoy their phone calls not fatigued from work activities.

😇5) Give Service: It's always good to volunteer! That duty is on my list but I am striking off such priority items as health, family/friends, hobbies, etc. I hope to explore volunteer opportunities at a later date.

📖6) Enrich Your Mind: Keep track of what's happening in the world whether watching the local/national news or reading a digital newspaper or magazine. There is so much free information online including YouTube, colleges, clubs and of course ChatGPT.

No comments:

Post a Comment